Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowden Dining Hall Bigot

I went down to the Snowden Dining Hall to grab myself some food before class. I saw a tall man on the other side of the room who looked like he was high ranking. While of course I was in violation of no laws, I was not looking for confrontation. I had a class to get to.

I grabbed some apples. Walked around the edge of the counter and grabbed some cereal. As I was filling the bowls with milk, an older man, probably a manager, came up and told me that I neded shoes to be in here. I said whys that and he said I can't be in any store witbout shoes. I told him it wasn't against any law. He told me it was a health hazard and I said again I'm not breaking any laws. He called the tall man from before over and told him he says being barefoot isn't against the law and I can't kick him out. He got more irritated and said you cant be in here its a health issue. The other man piped up and said try going to the store across the street and I interrupted saying I do all the time. The shorter man seemed more shocked than the taller who seemed furious and disgusted at what I was doing. I told him again I'm breaking no laws and he looked me right in the eye and said "You are breaking MY law."

Right then I was so repulsed I just said "this is discrimination." I picked up my cereal and walked toward the spoons. He said to another person "Call security." I whipped around so quickly when I heard that and said "I am getting a spoon and I'm leaving." I shot him a glare and again said this is discrimination, wished the other man a nice day, he said "You too."

I ate my breakfast outside the door standing barefoot in the snow. I am still so blown away from that encounter. The first man I am not mad at though. He was just misinformed and upholding a rule he isn't aware doesn't exist. The taller man though took it too far. He was clearly a hardheaded bigot. The fact he said "You're breaking MY law." was just proof of how closed-minded he is. Clearly I have to write some letters to people over his head. Problem is I don't know who he is so I'm not sure exactly where his head is. That kind of blatant discrimination though is something I will not tolerate.

As always my friends,

Barefooting is easy
Barefooting is good for you
Barefooting is NOT illegal
Join the revolution
GO BAREFOOT

Please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment