Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stepping on a nail.

One of the most frequent things I hear from adults are pneumonia, glass, and nails for risks of barefooting. I am no microbiologist, but I have noticed an extreme upswing in my immune system since I started barefooting. I used to be sick nearly the entire fall and winter. Aside from allergies last week, I have not once been sick. Such an extreme turn around is nothing to be overlooked...

Next thing I always hear is you could step on glass. Ok people, glass is usually quite shiny and reflective, not only that it tends to be few and far between ESPECIALLY in Providence. We literally have people every day sweeping the streets. Now we all know there is glass out there, not much but there is. Heres the thing, Barefooters have this amazing ability, we can walk around things. I know, I know, this is some mind blowing stuff. I am actually going to make a humorous video showing that magical ability to walk around things. But what if I don't see it and I step on it, instant gash or puncture wound right? Wrong...My feet have toughened up to the point where I really don't have to worry about getting cuts from glass. This toughening up of feet really does not take very long to get. After only a few weeks you will start to notice your feet getting tougher and stronger.

Ok, this one pisses me off the most. "You could step right on a rusty nail and it'll go right through you." If the person who said that is not related to me my response is usually something like this. "You are an idiot." Let's think about this people, first of all, think, why the hell would there be a nail here when I am surrounded by buildings made of brick and stone that have been there for over a hundred years? Where are nails used? Construction sites mostly, even then, generally they are walled off from the rest of the city. Also, very few buildings in a city are built of wood anymore so you aren't likely to see nails on the outside of the building on the ground. You might find many inside where they are framing the building's rooms but those get picked up because no one wants nails all over the floor of a finished building. Now even if the nail fairy is dropping nails all over the city for people to step on, consider this. Outside of being nailed through a board, have you ever seen a nail out in the city just standing straight up on its own? Seriously, have you? Now people always think that nails are sticking strait up for some reason. Proportionally it is about the same likelihood of a coin standing up on its edge.

This rant is getting a little long so I am starting a new paragraph for the sake of readability.

Now, even though seeing a nail standing up on its own in the middle of the city is nearly impossible and accounting for Barefooters magical walking around the hazard ability, what if I step on one, I bet I'll wish I had a shoe then right? No...Again this part requires thinking, sorry. So you are a runner, pounding your feet along in a pair of Nikes. You can't feel the ground you're smashing your feet on through a shoe. If you step on one of these magical upright nails the nail fairy left you are completely screwed, that nail is going straight through your foot and you cant do a thing about it.

A Barefooter is running along with forefoot strikes and short strides, The foot is at a tremendously different angle when running barefoot, so more than likely you are just going to knock the nail over instead of step onto it. What if none of these are possible and I step on a nail and I can't do a thing about it? I am still better off without shoes. If you step on a nail barefoot it is a kin to being shot without clothes on. You are better off. The penetrating object takes whatever it hits and pushes it up into whatever its penetrating. Look back to the Civil War, the infections from having pieces of their clothes literally shot into them were horrendous. The same applies for your feet. I have heard stories about pieces of sock and rubber being buried so deep into a persons foot they needed surgery to get them out. All I have to do is take my foot off of the nail and go to a doctors to get the hole sealed up. I don't have to worry about having to surgically remove a piece of memory foam from in between my foot bones.

Food for thought world of the shod, food for thought.

Barefooting is easy
Barefooting is good for you
Barefooting is NOT illegal
Join the revolution
GO BAREFOOT

Please comment!

Like what you see?
Tweet it!

No comments:

Post a Comment